dimanche 25 janvier 2015

Fuel bypassing the carb when not running

I have a couple of riding mowers with what appears to be a similar problem. One is a Troy Built with a B&S 18.5 hp twin cylinder, the other is a JD STX38 with a 13 hp Kohler Command. Gas appears to be bypassing the carbs when the engine is not running. Both carbs are gravity feed, neither has a fuel pump.



When I got the Troy Built the guy told me that there was a problem with the carb, gas was running into the crankcase when the engine was not running. He had taken it to a reputable shop and he told them to fix it the cheapest way possible. They installed an inline fuel cutoff switch that he had to turn off when the mower wasn't running. I did a complete and thorough carb rebuild to try to fix it. I checked to make sure that the float/needle valve were working properly (dropped the bowl after it was reinstalled). That carb has a fuel cutoff actuator on the bottom of the carb bowl and it appears to be working correctly.



With the Kohler engine, I had to rebuild the engine after a screw came loose from the carb choke plate and passed through the intake and the piston stamped it into the cylinder head. Turned out to be not too serious of a problem, but made one heck of a racket when it happened. I didn't really mess with the carb because it was running fine. Once it was back together I found that when I started the engine after it had been sitting a few days, it would blow fuel out of the exhaust. I have not opened the engine again, I checked the oil and it does not appear that any gas is getting into the crankcase, but it would appear that the gas is flowing through the exhaust valve somehow and pooling in the exhaust/muffler.



Has anyone experienced this type of problem. Stupid question, I know, you guys have seen everything. Can someone tell me what might be going on? I know that's pretty limited information but I'm hoping there might be some kind of common, general problem associated with this that someone can point me toward.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire