samedi 25 avril 2015

Tecumseh VLV60 - mystery oil leak

Hi all,

I've just joined as I have an issue with a Tecumseh VLV60 engine that is mounted on a Wolf Garten SV4 lawn mowing scooter. It's been a great little machine. I've cared for it exceptionally, but at the end of last year's season I noticed oil on the mowing deck. This year I removed the engine from the mower frame and cleaned and serviced it all up. I thought I had located the leak which was coming from the oil fill tower (there's a plastic insert that screws into the metal engine body). I sealed the threads all up and reinstalled the engine on the motor.

I did a day of mowing and and the end I noticed that the oil was there again, so my repair didn't solve the issue and I'm now working on the hypothesis that the leak isn't related to the oil fill tower. This is because now that the engine and mower deck are clean, I can see that the oil seems to be coming from behind the muffler somewhere. Also, when I opened the oil filler cap, the oil seemed kind of foamy (?). A little bit like if a car has a head gasket leak and some coolant got into the crankcase - that kind of "mayonnaise" appearance. However, there is no coolant on this motor.

Can anyone help diagnose as to what could be the issue? The leak isn't severe - the level on the dipstick doesn't change much over a normal mowing month, so it's a small leak at best. I really can't figure out where it's coming from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mower runs well, starts on the first pull always and doesn't show any signs of burning oil. From what I can see it doesn't appear to be a head gasket issue, but I can't see underneath the flywheel on this unit.

Not sure if I can upload pictures, but if someone advises, I'd try to get some photos if it would be helpful.

Thanks!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire