dimanche 28 septembre 2014

16.5 HP OHV - thought I had a compression problem

I recently traded a handgun for a Craftsman riding lawn mower.



The guy I got it from told me it was a little hard to start, but if you rotated the engine past the compression cycle that it usually starts right up. He was correct in that part.

After reading online, I found that there are a few things that cause high compression on these engines, so I initially adjusted the valves and that actually seemed like it solved my problem.

Now, a few weeks later, I have run into the very same issue where it is hard to start. I thought that it is possible that the valves have gone out of adjustment, so I looked at that again. Upon further searching, I found that some directions online for adjusting the valves are inaccurate. The big discrepancy is they say to rotate the engine 1/4" past TDC, when actually it is to rotate the engine where the piston moves down 1/4" past top dead center. Once I got that cleared up I was hoping it would start....nope!



I then found that it is possible that the compression release mechanism on the cam shaft could be faulty. After rotating the engine while viewing the rockers and valves, I can clearly see when the cam is rotated over the compression release, as the bottom valve slightly opens then closes, so I know that part of the system is in place and functional.

The next thing I read is that there can be carbon build-up on the head which could cause higher compression than normal. I pulled the head and inspected it. It really wasn't that bad, but I did clean off what bit of carbon was present.



I see that the starter has been replaced and seems to be one of the newest parts to the engine, but I am actually thinking that there may be a few coils inside that have heated up and thus isn't producing as much torque as necessary to rotate this bad boy. I did pull it off and disassembled it. I really couldn't see anything wrong, but it did appear that some of the coating was melted off of some of the coils. The brushes and everything else inside looked to be in really good shape.



I removed the spark plug and the starter can easily rotate the engine with no issues, but once the plug is black in, the compression is just too much for it to get it started. From everything I have read thus far. I think it is the starter and if I replace it that should solve my problems.



Anyone else have any ideas as to my trouble?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire