vendredi 26 septembre 2014

Stihl FS46 Trimmer Won't Run...tried everything I can think of.

I've got a Stihl FS46 trimmer. It's about 5 years old but was used very sparingly for three years before going into storage for the last two. It was always a little hard to start but was running like a champ when it went into storage. I've got it out of storage now, and it won't start. With everything I've tried, I've never heard a single combustion cycle. It doesn't even try.



It was properly drained of fuel before it went into storage. Since I've been trying to get it started I've replaced the spark plug, cleaned the brush contacts, and confirmed a good strong spark. No breakage in the fuel lines and they're still like new. After that I disassembled the carb and cleaned it, but when that produced no results, I bought a replacement carb. No change. Fuel is getting into the cylinder. So I checked the compression which is at ~110psi. I feel like that is a little low, but I'm not sure, so I disassembled the piston/cylinder to check out the rings. They weren't seized, no signs of excessive wear, and everything looked relatively good. Cylinder walls look like new and very little sign of blow-by on the piston. I cleaned everything up and after doing so it looks like new. Reassembled with the exhaust/muffler off to eliminate that as a source of problems. Rechecked the compression and no change, still 110psi. Still doesn't even try to start.



All of this was with the air filter off. This thing is about as simple a combustion engine as you can get so it's driving me nuts that I can't get it running. Fuel, air, spark. Simple. At this point I'd be happy just to have the fuel ignited in the cylinder once while I pull the starter string, even if it doesn't run.



Is 110psi low for this trimmer? Enough to prevent any ignition? If so does anybody have the part number for new piston rings? What else should I look at?



Thanks for the help.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire