jeudi 23 octobre 2014

LV195XA Piston Ring Job

My Toro 20071 mower locked up this summer and the blade wouldn't rotate. I turned the mower on its side and stepped on the blade, which forced it to move. After that it ran OK. I changed the oil and rebuilt the carb not too long after that and now it runs well. While I was doing that I took the valve cover off and saw that the cylinder was badly scarred. I'm not sure how that happened, since I'm good about changing the oil. I did buy it refurbished - perhaps something happened before I got it.



Anyway, now that the season is over, I am thinking about taking the motor apart, smoothing the cylinder walls and replacing the rings. I know I will need new rings, and a gasket set. Should I expect to replace the piston head as well, or is it likely I can smooth that out with my Dremel? I have another old mower motor I took apart for fun and have buffed out scars from the cylinder wall with the Dremel on that one, so I'm fairly confident I can do it on this one as well. Any other advice, or things I should buy to prepare for this? At worst I figure I can always buy a piston head if I get in there and it's in terrible shape.



Or, should I just leave it the heck alone since it's running well now? I'm just trying to extend the life of the mower, but I've never been one to settle for "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Full details, the motors is a Tecumseh LV195XA, spec 362089E. The mower is a Toro 20071 made in 2007.



Thanks in advance!

-Steve




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire