vendredi 24 octobre 2014

Odd problem with D-400 engine Lawnboy Model 5083

Model5038.jpg



I just rebuilt this Model 5083 Lawnboy with a D-400 series engine. I put new rings in it, among other things. This has a 2-ring piston. I started it and adjusted it and mowed some with it, and after I finished one small yard, I noticed when I switched it off, that it appeared to be dragging (and no brake on this early model). I tried moving the blade and it seemed the piston was "almost" frozen, or locked up, but not quite. The engine was quite hot. Now I used STP as assembly lube when I reassembled the piston into the cylinder. I took out the spark plug and squirted some light oil into the cylinder and worked the piston back and forth using my hand on the mower blade, and got it freed up. Now I was fueling the mower with my standard mix of 8 oz. Lawnboy oil, to 2 galllons non-ethanol gas, with a dollop of Marvel Mystery Oil. It was my understanding that the 2-ring piston Lawnboy used this ratio of oil which is 1:32. This engine has a roller bearing top bearing and a sleeve lower bearing. Anyway, I mixed up a fresh gallon of fuel with double the lawnboy oil 1:16, and continued mowing and it seems to be OK. I find this curious and can't explain it, unless this mower "actually" needs the 1:16 ratio. Any ideas why it almost froze up? In any case I'm continuing with the 1:16 oil ratio for now.


Attached Images






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire