dimanche 31 mai 2015

Honda HRX217 Review

I recently bought an HRX217 and thought I'd share what I think about it. Let me start by saying it's a keeper. No doubt about it. For me, at least. But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. And I'll get to the reasons why after I tell you why I like it.

The biggest reason I like the 217 more than any other mower I've used is the GCV190 engine - it's strong and smooth. If you're an inherently lazy SOB like me - and try to slide by cutting your grass every 10 days or so - then the 190 has the power to let you do it. No slowing down in the thick stuff, no lifting the front end of the deck, no restarts when it stops...nothing. I can't say enough about how it powers through tall grass and leaves a velvet smooth finish in its wake. Really, it's something else.

I also like the plastic deck. I didn't think I would, but - so help me - I do. It's more rigid than a steel deck and I won't have to worry about ugly rust in a few years. It even has a lifetime guarantee on the deck itself - what more can I ask for? Since you asked, I'll tell you: it collects dust. Not terribly bad, mind you, but definitely more so than a painted steel deck. I'm not sure why, but it bugs me a bit.

About the cut - it's darn smooth. People have noticed, and that makes me happy. One thing I really like about it over the HRR216 (and I've had two) is that it doesn't leave a slime trail under the rear wheels like the smaller mower does. That's a real plus in my book.

Let me finish what I like about it by talking about select drive. I had read that it is really useful for people who do a lot of mowing on flat land at constant speed - just turn the dial, set the cruising speed, and be off. Personally, I don't see the real advantage of it over the smart drive mouse ears on other honda mowers for flat land. Anybody can set the smart drive to the speed of their liking when the going is smooth, so it's of no real benefit. It's when the going is hilly that select drive really comes into its own. When you're powering up a hill with smart drive and accidentally hit the mouse ears, the mower takes off, does a wheelie, and leaves a patch of grass uncut. But when you have select drive set at a low speed on a hill, you can't accidentally call up too much speed no matter how heavy handed you are. I like that feature. A lot.

Now that I've told you what I like about it, let me get to my biggest complaint - it's a bit unwieldy. Not terrible, I guess, but you can't whip it around like the smaller HRR216. It weighs more, too. And the plastic deck just seems wider to me, somehow. I guess what I'm saying is that it just seems like more work to cut with it. On flat land, at least. On hills and tall grass....no contest. The HRX is the champ.

So...here's my take on it. If you have a flat yard which you keep cut regularly, then I would recommend the HRR216. It's easier to maneuver, easier to clean, and costs less to boot. If you have steep hills or are less rigorous about mowing, then I would recommend the HRX217. Simple as that.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire