dimanche 29 novembre 2015

Low speed surging on LB 8231 Not fuel related?

Hello All:

I have a Lawn Boy 8231 that has a low speed urging problem that I do not think is fuel related. Instead of fuel related problem, I think that I have found the trouble to be caused by slack in the spring that is connected to the governor.

The speed of this engine, 640, is controlled by turning a knob in the rear of the shroud about 90 degrees. This knob is connected to a wire that has a dog leg in it that adds tension to a spring that is connected to the governor. There is a bit of free play between the dog leg and the loop in the spring. I think that this is what is causing the engine to surge at low speed. In the past, I think that I cured the problem by making the bend in the dog leg larger to remove any free play between the spring and the dog leg.

I may have found that when the engine is running, there is no slop between the dog leg and the loop in the spring but that was decades ago. Is there any slop between the loop in the spring and the dog leg when the engine is not running?

To work on this problem, I may have to remove the engine from the deck to gain access to the governor rod which is a real pain! There is one slotted head screw holding the rod in place but I will bet that it is almost impossible to turn with a screwdriver with the deck attached! This why I ask the question concerning the free play in the dogleg/loop in the spring. Does this spring have free play in it while running and not running?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tia,

Franch


Low speed surging on LB 8231 Not fuel related?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire