dimanche 15 novembre 2015

Scag Turf Tiger Won't start

I have an (approx) 2004 Scag Turf Tiger with 61" deck that won't start. The mower has about 360 hours total (averaging around 30-40 hours per year) and is used to cut grass at my home. This non-starting issue has been going on for a couple years now and has frustrated me and the Scag dealer who seems to be at a loss. I'll give as much background as I can piece together from memory and service records. .

Episode #1: Two years ago I was mowing on the backside of my dam and the mower stalled in some thick grass on a pretty steep slope. I tried to restart it, but the mower was dead and would not turn over at all. I checked the fuses under the seat and found the bottom 20A fuse blown. I replaced the fuse and tried to start. The mower was still dead and I found the second fuse blown. I did this two more times with identical results. Hauled mower to Scag dealer and they replaced a relay somewhere and the mower ran fine.

Episode #2: Last year I was mowing, cut engine to talk to someone and the mower failed to restart. Identical symptoms to previous episode...blown fuses, no turning over, no sound, just dead fuse. Back to dealer. Again, no clear "smoking gun"...they replaced a wiring harness (#483440) and the mower ran fine.

Episode#4: A month after Episode #2, I experienced the exact same symptom...mowing like a champ, turn it off to talk, then dead. Fuse blown. Dealer changed out battery and could find nothing else wrong. Mower ran fine after this, but neither dealer nor I thought we'd really gotten to the bottom of the issue. .

Episode #5: Identical to Episodes 2&3, except the fuses were NOT blown. But mower was completely dead. I decided to let mower sit in my driveway overnight and see if a cold start gave different result. It did! So I mowed for 45 minutes, pulled it onto the trailer and hauled it to dealer. Mower would not reproduce the symptoms, it ran fine and dealer was at a loss for what to do since nothing was wrong (apparently).

Episode #6: Two days ago I ran the mower for several hours successfully, though I never turned it off until I finished working. Yesterday, I tried to start the mower cold and it was dead, no fuses blown. I happened to have a guy here who works for a big landscape company and he tried to trouble shoot the mower. Battery tested at 13.5V. There does seem to be a faint "clicking" sound when the ignition was turned on. The guy held a screwdriver across the starter terminals and got the motor to turn over, but the exhaust was very "gassy" smelling and I could see what appeared to be unburned gas. It sounded as though the engine was turning over but not firing...which I thought explained the visible and gassy exhaust.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for sharing what you know,

Bob


Scag Turf Tiger Won't start

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire