jeudi 12 novembre 2015

Pull Cord barely retracts - Briggs & Stratton, Snapper mower

The Pull Start Cord was VERY slow to retract after it was pulled, like a snake that reluctantly returns to its burrow taking 2 minutes to do so.
I first disassembled the retractor spring unit and tightened it up but that lasted only 1 day before it was back to slow retraction.
I noted that the ratchet mechanism was not turning very easily and suspected that was why the rewind mechanism had a difficult time retracting the cord after trying a pull start.
Then I disassembled the ratchet mechanism which was underneath the cord spring unit and above the flywheel. I only had to remove 5 bolts to expose the ratchet mechanism. I cleaned up the 6 ball bearings, cleaned up the ratchet after removing it, reapplied light grease to the crankshaft that the ratchet fits over so that the ratchet now spins extremely easily. Evidently the old lubricant and dust had combined to reduce movement.
When the ratchet mechanism was reassembled, the cord retracts like it did when the mower was new.
This time I think it will continue to work freely for a long time. I'll report back if it fails to do so.


Pull Cord barely retracts - Briggs & Stratton, Snapper mower

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire