mardi 5 janvier 2016

How to fix your "hard to start" K series kohler

I'm putting this information out because I found out how to fix my Kohler K341. First od all I have an old Ford LGT 165 mower that would not start. The motor would not start due to the compression release tab on the crank was bent down and not allowing the engine to release compression during starting. Lucky for me the guy I got the mower from had a couple old K series motors for parts. I found a cam shaft ARC (automatic compression release), that was in better shape than the one in my engine. Kohler says the exhaust valve should lift 0.031" to 0.041", but if your tab is bent down the valve will not lift. I swapped out the camshaft and what do you know, the motor cranked and started.
Now if you don't have a spare camshaft like I did and have this problem, I have another idea for you. Take out the cam shaft and have a small bead welded to the ARC tab. Then you will need to remove metal until you get the correct height on the tab. Just use a caliper and measure until the tab is around the 0.030" to 0.040" above the camshaft.
Don't try to bent the tab up because most of these are hardened and will break. You can get the service manual and look it up to see if your motor has the hardened ARC tab or not.
Good luck and I hope the post helps.


How to fix your "hard to start" K series kohler

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire