mercredi 24 février 2016

Given up on repairing Briggs recoil spring, what to do about the mower?

My grandfather passed away last year and when I was cleaning out his shed I found and old Murray 20 Briggs mower. It had sat with gas in it for years. I dumped out the gas and put in fresh gas and after a few pulls it started right up. Of course there was smoke, but it started. I needed a lawn mower too because I had just bought some land and was starting the process of cleaning up a clearing where I will build a small structure.

So I mow my place a couple of times and notice the chord is rotten and about to break in a spot. After mowing a bit the chord broke. I had no idea those old Briggs used a metal coiled band as a spring. I pulled off the top cover and bent the band. I bought a new band hoping I could replace it and realized I'd bought the wrong band. This one had a bend on the end that connected to the plastic reel. I though I could make it work but once I finally got it in just didn't sit or wind right. I was able to manually wind the plastic wheel for a while until the band bent. So then there was no tension on the plastic reel so even if I wound it up once I pulled on the string it'd just fly out all loose as I pulled.

I put off fixing it all winter. Monday I bought the right band for it and finally got it in and it was retracting great. But the piece of the band that connected to the reel ended up pulling out of the reel and the space it sat in was too wide to hold it. So I bent the band and hooked it to the reel and got it all working to where it was retracting but I could tell the spring wanted to pull out of the reel. Which it did.

I've given up on fixing it. I've just sunk too much time into it and if the chord ever breaks again I just can't go through this again. It's a heck of a little mower. Just what I needed. It isn't the fanciest but I like it.

Is there anything I can do? Any way to rig it to where I can pull it and start it and then just manually rewind the wheel when I need to start it again? I hate to trash it.

I was thinking about buying one of the newer Briggs engines and putting it on the body of mine. But I haven't called to check on prices to see what'd that cost. And I haven't checked if any would fit the body.

What are my options? I really need a mower. It saves me so much time than using my weed eater. This one runs great I just don't have a way to start it.

Thanks.


Given up on repairing Briggs recoil spring, what to do about the mower?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire