vendredi 26 juin 2015

1995 Yardman w/ 50" Deck

Just curious if anyone in here has ever owned one? Model # 145y834p401. It has the Kohler Commander 22 hp engine and a 50 inch deck. I have owned this mower since 1995 (bought it new).

I just have to give this thing props. I have owned it for just over 20 years now, and it's still a beast. I feel bad about it, but I have abused the heck out of this mower. Being the cheapest "Big" mower on the market at the time (Bought it at Monkey Wards), I really thought it would make it only 5 to 7 years and then fall apart (I bought the extended 5 yr service contract, I figured as soon as that was up it would be done). Dang, was I ever wrong!!! Therefore, I really didn't take very good care of it. To be honest, I've treated it like cr*p.

The hood has long since fallen off, the seat is cracked horribly, the rubber foot pads broke off, etc, but this thing just keeps going. With the way I've treated it, I'm amazed. Since the extended maintenance warranty ran out, I've never once changed the spark plug or even changed the air filter. The throttle cable has been stuck in 'full throttle' position for the last 12 years or so. I do change oil and filter regularly though, and that's about all I can say that I've done to be nice to it. Heck, I've never even once put a grease gun to this thing. :o And believe it or not, I've never once put had the carburator looked at. Everything (excluding belts, deck spindles, blades, gas filter, battery, oil filter, and oil) is original. This thing has never even been to a lawnmower shop.

Every summer I just had this thought that "Ok, this thing will prolly just make it another month or two, then die and it'll be time for a new one. WRONG! I'm truly amazed... because I've been mowing 3 acres with it at least once a week (when the grass is growing here in Oklahoma) ever since 1995.

The engine is original and doesn't smoke or eat oil (props to Kohler). The hydrostatic transmission is still as smooth as the day I bought it (unbelievable), and believe it or not, it STILL has the original tires on it and they STILL hold air. It starts as well now as it did when it was brand new, and runs like a top. I've come to call it "Old Faithful".

I bought a Scotts mower about 8 years ago thinking "I need a backup, this thing is going to die any day".... since then, I have also accumulated 2 Craftsman mowers. All 4 run, and run well (the other 3 have been well taken care of), but I still prefer to mow with Old Faithful. My wife and daughters hate it, mainly cuz it's downright ugly, but it's my favorite mower. It's the fastest of the 4, and has the biggest deck... so I get more done with it in a shorter time. And honestly, despite my wreckless abuse, it runs the best.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but I've bought a ton of parts for it this week. I've bought all new deck pulleys, 2 new spindles, a new throttle cable, new air filter, new spark plug, I've finally put a grease gun to it, bought all new belts, etc. I can't help but to wonder how much time it has left, but I'm finally giving it the maintenance and attention it has long deserved.

I was just curious if anyone else has owned one, and if it has been the beast that this one is. 20 years and STILL going strong (knock on wood)... it's really hard to believe.... At this point, I'm honestly wondering if treated right, how long it will last..... yardman2.jpg
Attached Images


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire