lundi 24 août 2015

Briggs 8.0 Genpower (Generac) smokes when hot

We lose power occasionally. Sometimes twice a year, sometimes not at all. Usually power is restored in minutes. Sometimes hours. During major ice storms or similar disasters, we have gone days without power.

I have a portable generator powered by a B&S 8.0 gas engine that I have used on a handful of occasions since buying used 10 years ago. I fire it up 2 or 3x per year if I need to or not. I pulled her out yesterday and she started up fine. After the engine warmed to operating temp, a flap (protective cover?) next to the muffler began smoking. I immediately shut the unit off and watched it continue to smoke until it cooled. I waited a while before restarting, thinking maybe I was mistaken and the smoke (blueish) was coming from the muffler and not the flap. Sure enough when I restarted and she got hot, it was clear that the smoke was coming from the carburetor side of the flap (see photo).

Today I took her outside and started her up and looked closely at the carb side of the flap as the engine was running. After running for about a minute, a fluid that looked like oil began to accumulate on the flap (carb side). It appeared as if it were being "sprayed" or "spit" on. Then when the muffler got to temperature (hot), the substance began to smoke. At that point, I feared the flap would catch fire, igniting the plastic fuel tank above, then .... KABOOM.

Any guess as to what's happening? Could it be oil? If yes, where is it coming from and what is the fix? Thanks. briggs1.JPG
Attached Images


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire