vendredi 21 août 2015

Cut/mulching quality for dry grass cut weekly: is commercial deck better than resid.?

I understand commercial mowers/decks are designed to cut nicely, even when grass is wet or overgrown, but is there a difference for a homeowner who cuts weekly and only when the grass is dry? I typically cut 4-5" growth down to 3". I'm trying to decide between the Hustler Raptor SD 54" ($4000) and the Ferris IS600Z with the 48" iCD deck ($5500).

My property is almost an acre, and using the cool Google Earth area measurement tool at daftlogic.com, it looks like about .55 acre of it is actual grass. So I figure 25 hours a year usage max. Based on that, and my yard being flat, most of the advantages of the Ferris over the Hustler (ZT-3400 hydros vs 2800's, Kawi FS engine vs FR, 10mph vs 7.5mph, 4 year warranty vs 3 year) don't seem worth the extra money for my situation.

No real differences in the dealers, either. Both well-established businesses, nice folks, and both are 3 miles from me, practically across the street from each other.

So for me it just comes down to the quality of the cutting, mulching and striping. I plan to get the mulch kit for whichever I buy, and use it always (I always mulch now with my push mower). I also plan to get the Hustler striping kit (the Ferris comes with one). I'd like to save the $1500 difference, but if I end up with stragglers and clumping and such, I'd rather have spent the extra IF it would've gotten me better results.

What's your opinion?


P.S. Borrowing a demo unit would be be ideal, but I don't have a trailer, and would also worry I might damage their mower since I'm new to ZTR.

P.P.S. the Hustler is 650 lbs., while the Ferris is 954 lbs and has narrower tires, front and rear. Should I be worried about ruts?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire