mardi 28 juillet 2015

Dixie Chopper Starting/Eletrical woes

Hi,

I appreciate any help with this. I'm in town for the week visiting my mother and thought i'd fix her Dixie Chopper while here. I thought I had a decent understanding of small engines, but I think i've stumbled upon an interesting short so any help finding the culprit welcome!

The mower is an XWL2300 'Millennium Edition' with a Kohler engine.

The mower started blowing a fuse on a black wire coming off the hot side of the starter. Initially seldom, then more frequent to the point she couldn't use the mower. (She had just been feeding it fuses).

Additionally the starter had been engaging the moment you turn the key on, and therefore stayed engaged even after the mower had started. This ruined the starter about the time I arrived.

After replacing the starter the behaviour continued. The moment you turn the key 'on' the starter engaged. The mower will start, but starter stays engaged.

I've tried replacing the key switch, no change. I also checked continuity of the original ignition switch which tested 'good'. The switch is *not* the cause for the starter wire being sent power.

To sum up; The starter engages the moment the key is turned on. The switch has been tested good, and i've confirmed with a voltmeter that the starter wire is indeed getting +12 volts when the key is turned on. If you do let the mower run it will eventually blow a 20amp fuse on a black wire coming off the starter, causing the entire mower to die, and not even attempt to restart until replaced. Any idea where the likely short is that would cause this?

To add; Yesterday after replacing the switch only to have it behave the same I cleaned the original switch and reconnected it. While holding the key switch I started the mower. Within a few seconds I was getting jolted as if I had my finger on a plugwire. Perhaps stupidity on my part for holding the ignition switch housing, but should that level of electricity be coming back to the key switch? The only theory I have now is perhaps a bad voltage regulator causing that, which if it was sending unregulated voltage back up the wiring harness could perhaps explain the blowing of fuses.. But would it explain the starter behaviour? Or am I completely off base with how the voltage regulator is wired.

Any advice welcomed, any additional info happy to provide.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire