jeudi 28 août 2014

Before I do the wrong thing I better ask

For a long time I have had one of the best looking yards in the neighborhood. I'm a retired United States Marine so it goes with the territory. I've had to fight hard to get it to my likening. That is until this year. I had an older gentleman move in two doors up and he introduced himself as Jim my "competitor". With a smile of course. In the end I found out he owned a large local sod farm. What a gold mine if information. I had been using all kinds of products and watering to the point of owing a swamp. He introduced me to 46-0-0. Holy smokes! I use that with some Scott's for root growth and now I have a huge putting green for a lawn and I have cut my watering bill in half.

So now for the problem. It grows so fast I need to mow twice a week but I rarely have time. What has happened now is I have many areas where the grass won't stand up to get cut even with my good double bladed Honda mower. Side note. That mower is a solid ten star piece of equipment. Anyway I always cut it at 2.5 inches and do a second cut to get the diamond pattern which always gets a second bag of clippings.

My thought is to just one time drop the deck a half inch to two inches to suck up the the unruly stuff. My concern is that height takes it down to mostly brown. Question. Other than looking terrible for a week or two am I looking at hurting the grass and secondly if successful can I continue to use that lower setting and have the grass adapt or get use to that new height. I would appreciate and help. I just don't want to do something stupid. Thank you. Gunny




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire