vendredi 29 août 2014

Fuel in the crankcase?

I picked up a JD LX255 for parts but noticed the engine had compression so I figured I'd take a shot at it. Almost all of me engine repair work has been with horizontal shaft engines, and mostly older ones at that so my experience with larger vertical shaft engines is quite limited. I have no experience with Kohler engines. This JD has a 15 hp Kohler, Model CV15S, Spec # 41571, Family: SKH426U1G2RB.



The engine would start using starter fluid and would stay running (barely, and rough at that) with continuous spray of starter fluid but it smoked terribly and would eventually die. I figured I had a carb fuel delivery issue and a blown head gasket. So I finally got the OHV and head removed, much more difficult than an old horizontal Briggs! When I removed the head I noticed a mix of gas and oil running a steady stream out of the valve rod openings. Since my experience with these engines is limited I didn't know if that much oil should be coming out of there but the fuel in the oil was very concerning. I didn't see any significant defects in the head gasket. The cylinder head was good, valves looked good, cylinder bore was spotless. I drained the oil and it was obvious there was a lot of gas mixed in the oil.



Without tearing this engine down any further at this point, can someone tell me what I am likely dealing with? I wondering if it's worth going any further.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire