mercredi 27 août 2014

Replacing the cone spindle bearings on my Dixon ZTR-428 transaxle

Was in the middle of mowing my back yard on Sunday, and suddenly heard a clink-screeeeeeeeeeech, and then the motor died. Tried turning the motor over to restart, and it wouldn't even turn. I couldn't turn the flywheel myself by hand either. Something was stuck. I removed the transaxle drive belt from the engine, and the engine cranked and ran normally. So......something is seized. My money is on one (or both) of the cone spindle bearings.



So I brought the mower into the garage (towed it in, actually) and removed the body cover. I put a big wrench on the top nut of the cone spindle, and worked it back and forth. I heard some metallic crunching, and then it finally let go. It's sort of turning freely now, but it still catches while rotating. Definitely a bearing failure. I need to get the high speed bearings replaced on the cone drive spindle.



I spent a few minutes examining the transaxle assembly, and eventually worked out that removing it was as simple as removing two bolts from the rear, and loosening 2 J-hooks in the front, after removing the drive chains.



Now that I have the transaxle out and on the bench, I'm starting disassembly to get at the cone frame assembly. I referenced the service manual to get the parking brake assembly removed, and I'm just a bit beyond that, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's next.



Has anyone disassembled this transaxle before? The service manual is pretty vague about next steps after the parking brake assembly removal.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire